Making Traditional Italian
A Des Moines Tradition
When you come to Baratta’s, you really are home. In fact, the Baratta family once lived in the rooms where diners now gather for meals and special occasions. The family began their journey in the Des Moines food scene when they opened a small grocery store in the front of their home near downtown Des Moines. Specializing in Italian foods and ingredients, the Baratta name became synonymous with traditional Italian recipes.
In 1993, the family sold the store and home to three local Lincoln High School alums, Joe Gatto and Curt and Lisa Kruger. Today, Joe and Lisa are continuing to maintain the charm of the original shop by serving classic Italian specialties daily, including lasagna al forno, steak deburgo, and cannolis. Through the years, a wide variety of flavors have been added, to include American cuisine as well.
Baratta’s has been a Des Moines staple for over 50 years and is always welcoming new guests to the table. With multiple locations now open, catering available, and take-out options, there are several ways to enjoy our menu. From celebrating anniversaries and birthdays to fueling kids up before football games and dances, Baratta’s is a tradition that keeps getting better.
On South Union
Open for lunch and dinner, the original Baratta’s location has been serving up Italian classics in Des Moines for years.
In The East Village
Temporarily closed, Café Baratta’s is located on the third floor of the State Historical Building and serves the same delicious cuisine.
Family Carry-Out Meals
Feed your entire family with a traditional Italian dinner, salad and bread included.
Restaurant & Catering Reviews
- Wonderful food and sevicr@Jim P.
- Good italian food. A must experience when in Des Moines Iowa.Costin S.
- Great food excellent service. Just a fantastic restaurantBrad F.
- I have never left Baratta's hungry and have always enjoyed the food.John R.
- staff is always top tier and friendly.Cryptic P.
- A true gem of the Southside! Awesome food and Awesome service! Julie was our server and she did an outstanding job! Yummy!Art O.
- First time there,great food excellent service .I will definitely be back!Marc N.
- Great tasting onion rings and pizza!Judi D.
- Went for lunch today, wonderful as always.Linda H.
Host your Next Event With Baratta's
Des Moines Italian Catering & Events
Wedding & Formal Events
Invite our full-service Baratta’s catering staff to your upcoming formal event. Whether it’s a wedding, rehearsal dinner, or corporate evening, you’re sure to find that we are your perfect fit.
In-House Banquets & Events
Be our guests as you host yours at a banquet in our Baratta’s South Union location. View our special banquet menu options and give us a call to schedule your event.
Large-Group Catering Delivery
Perfect for employee lunches, a large family dinner, or anything in-between, Baratta’s offers specialized catering for large group orders. Make your food selection and we will deliver to your door!